Target and Objectives of the Project APOLLON
- Development of flexible and rigid OLEDs with cost-effective R2R and S2S printing processes: The goal is to effectively combine new materials with high-performance R2R and S2S printing and design methods, such as inkjet and slot-die.
- Development of efficient manufacturing technology: Implementation of the R2R and S2S pilot system will lead to the production of flexible and rigid OLEDs that will be fully printable. The whole process will include micromechanical laser patterning, development of the multilayer OLED structure, consisting of carrier transfer layers, photoactive layer as well as conductive electrodes, with printing methods and finally encapsulation and barrier packaging.
- Integration of OLEDs into innovative functional systems: The fabricated OLED devices will be integrated with appropriate electronic components (drivers, electronic power supplies and organic photovoltaics), which will be designed and manufactured to save energy and/or produce autonomous lighting systems for indoor lighting applications, in the safety signage and in smart protective clothing.
- Development of innovative lighting products: The feasibility of implementing the proposed process for mass production of OLED devices with the pilot R2R and S2S systems will be demonstrated through the evaluation of the functionality of the new solid-state lighting prototypes.
Using the pilot line, it will be realized the fabrication of OLED devices with predefined operating characteristics according to the requirements and specifications of the end products. These products will refer to:
- interior lighting on extended flat and non-planar surfaces
- large-scale lighting surfaces
- autonomous signage systems
- smart garments with integrated lighting systems for protective clothing and professional uniforms with special specifications